Sunday, September 12, 2010

ethical handmade pledge



I stumbled across this post with Heidi and Seek, which led me to a post with Isis.  These guidelines are exactly the changes happening which are necessary to create a different future, let alone the achievement of present awareness.  I walked into my closet and realized these two women are swinging on a tree so close to my roots.  I hope you will consider this pledge and you are ready to take charge of your life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
T H E _ E T H I C A L _ C L O T H I N G _ P L E D G E
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I pledge to only wear clothing that is one or more of the following:
1. Preloved
2. Handmade (preferably by me)
3. Reconstructed
4. Made with ethical and environmentally friendly materials
5. Made by a company with strong ethical policy and workers' rights

* Companies with environmentally friendly practices (such as cutting down on waste, energy, water) get brownie points
* If I get one little inkling of sweatshop labour, I'm outta there!
* Above all though, I think the most important thing is reducing the amount of things we use in the first place.  Not purchasing ANOTHER piece of clothing just for the sake of it is the biggest statement we can make.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -